Evelyn Hull Steele
- Born: 23 Sep 1909, Tazewell, Tazewell Co., VA.
- Marriage: Albert Earle Garrett Jr. on 29 Mar 1929 in Elizabeth City, Pasquotank Co., NC
- Died: 27 Jul 2001, Danville City, Virginia at age 91
DAR membership # 288448, Lt. Rees Bowen, Augusta Co., VA - killed at Battle of King's Mountain 1780.
Member: Evelyn H Steele Garrett
Nat'l #: 288448
Ancestor #: A012723
1. Charles Walter Steele born on 9 - Apr - 1877 at _______________ died at _______________ on - - and his ( 1st ) wife Clara Vawter Hull born on 13 - Nov - 1882 at _______________ died at _______________ on - - married on 11 - Oct - 1905
2. The Said Charles Walter Steele was the child of Andrew Jackson Steele born on 18 - Feb - 1846 at _______________ died at _______________ on - - and his ( 2nd ) wife Margaret Louise Thompson born on 6 - Mar - 1854 at _______________ died at _______________ on 18 - Dec - 1914 married on - - 1876
3. The Said Margaret Louise Thompson was the child of Walter W Thompson born on 28 - Jul - 1816 at _______________ died at _______________ on 23 - Aug - 1883 and his ( 1st ) wife
Narcissa Thompson born on 1 - Apr - 1824 at _______________ died at _______________ on 22 - Feb - 1892 married on - - 1850
4. The Said Narcissa Thompson was the child of William Thompson born on - - 1795 at _______________ died at _______________ on - - and his ( 1st ) wife Levice Gillespie born on - - 1787 at _______________ died at _______________ on - - married on - - 1820
5. The Said Levice Gillespie was the child of
Thomas Gillespie born on (c) - - 1760 at _______________ died at _______________ on (c) - - 1842 and his ( 1st ) wife Margaret Bowen born on - - 1763 at _______________ died at _______________ on - - married on (c) - - 1781
6. The Said Margaret Bowen was the child of Rees Bowen born on (c) - - 1737 at _______________ died at _______________ on - - 1780 and his ( 1st ) wife Louisa Margaret Smith born on - - at _______________ died at _______________ on (p) - - 1780 married on - -
Child: MARGARET/PEGGY /  THOMAS GILLESPIE
Service: VIRGINIA Rank: LIEUTENANT
Birth: (POST) 1737 ORANGE CO VIRGINIA
Death: 10-7-1780 BATTLE OF KINGS MTN SOUTH CAROLINA
Service Source: GWATHMEY, HIST REG OF VA IN THE REV, P 81; SANCHEZ-SAAVEDRA, A GUIDE TO VAL MIL ORGS IN THE AM REV, P 143
1) COL CAMPBELL
The SSDI records:
Name: Evelyn S. Garrett
Last Residence: 24541 Danville, Danville City, Virginia
Born: 23 Sep 1909
Died: 27 Jul 2001
State (Year) SSN issued: Virginia (1963)
DANVILLE, Va. â€" Evelyn Hull Steele Garrett, age 91, formerly of 325 Linden Drive and Stratford House, died on July 27, 2001, at the Stratford Health Care Center.
Born on September 23, 1909, in Tazewell, Virginia, she was the daughter of Charles Walter and Clara Vawter Hull Steele.
Attending the College of William & Mary for three years, she met and married Albert Earle Garrett, Jr., on March 29, 1929. Evelyn Garrett was graduated from Emory & Henry College in 1930.
During World War II Evelyn joined the war effort by serving in the nurses aid program of the local American Red Cross. Mrs. Garrett was a member of Mount Vernon United Methodist Church. She was also a member of the Wednesday Club, the Reading Group of the Wednesday Club, Friends of the Library, and the Danville Museum of Fine Arts and History. Her extended family will always remember her stoic personality, her liberal beliefs, and her intelligence as shwn through her insatiable habit of reading. Any book that passed near her hands, whatever the subject, was picked up and read by her. She was the family philosopher.
Evelyn Hull Steele Garrett Obit:
Evelyn Garrett was preceded in death by her husband, Albert Earle Garrett, Jr., a brother Andrew Jackson Steele, one sister Josephine Kelly Steele, one son Thomas Blackwell Garrett II, and one daughter Evelyn Hull Garrett Bowyer. Survivors include one sister Mary Ellen Steele Naff; three children: son Albert Earle Garrett III and daughter Clara Steele Garrett Fountain, both of Danville; daughter Carolyn Coleman Garrett Bouldin of Winston-Salem, NC; ten grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Memorials may be sent to Mount Vernon United Methodist Church, 107 West Main Street, Danville, Virginia, 24541.A graveside service will be held at Highland Burial Park at 11:00 a.m. on Monday, July 30, 2001, led by Rev. Jonathan L. Bennett. The family will receive friends in the Evergreen Room at Stratford House on Sunday night, July 29, from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. At other times the family will be in residence at the home of Clara Fountain, 107 Canterbury Road. Swicegood Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Evelyn married Albert Earle Garrett Jr., son of Albert Earle Garrett Sr. and Mattie Sue Webb Blackwell, on 29 Mar 1929 in Elizabeth City, Pasquotank Co., NC. (Albert Earle Garrett Jr. was born on 25 Sep 1909 in Stoneville, Rockingham Co., N.C. and died on 30 Mar 1998 in Danville City, Virginia.)
Earle and Evelyn became engaged on November 27, at Emory, VA. It was annouced in the Danville Bee Newspaper dated November 8, 1929.