John Bassett Francis
- Born: Abt 1800
- Marriage: Jane Mildred Terrell circa 1822
- Died: Abt 1845, Hanover Co., VA. about age 45
The 1820 Federal Census for Hanover Co., Va. records Elizabeth Francis (45+) and family (2 males 18-26, 1 female 16-26) as the only Francis family in Hanover. The 1810 Federal Census for Hanover Co., Va. records Calip Francis (45+) with family. Calip and Elizabeth are likely husband and wife in that both the 1810 and 1820 census records list the families of Joseph Mosby, Mary Parsons, Samuel Ford, and Thomas Bowles beside that of the families of Calip and Elizabeth Francis.
The 1810 census for Hanover also lists a woman by the name of Fanney Francis, over 45, living near Calip. This is most probably a relative of Calip.
See general notes on his son, Charles R. Francis, for additional information.
In a series of emails (Nov 4, 5, & 6, 2010) from Earline Vass Wallace, much information was shared regarding the Francis Family of Hanover CO., VA:
Thank you so much, your web link is great. Charles Roland Francis was also the brother to my great great grandmother Mary Elizabeth Francis who married John J. Davis. Mary Elizabeth Francis was the oldest of the children of John Bassett Francis and Jane Terrell.
1) Eli Samuel (Sam) Francis
2) James Thomas Francis b: abt, 1826, d: abt 1875
3) Sarah Francis (No dates)
4) Mary Elizabeth Francis b:14 Sept.,1823, d:19 Oct., 1890 Buried in the Francis Homeplace Cemetery Married John J. Davis
5) Martha Washington Francis b:22 Aug.,1828 d:25 March 1899 Buried in Francis Cemetery. Married James G. Jenkins
6) Emeline Josephine Francis Married: Charles Terrell
7) Charles Roland "Buck" Francis b:10 July 1836, d:aft 1900
8) John Thomas Bassett "Tom" Francis b:29 Sept. 1838, d: 2 Sept. 1911
Francis Homeplace : called Shady Acre Farm
Located on 727, off 623, near the sign "End of Maintenance." This was Bill Adams farm as of November 1991, near Elmont and near the Chickahominy River. It was formerly the Francis family farm. This is where all of the children of John Bassett and Jane Terrell's were born.
1) Mosby Sheppard b:4 June, 1775
2) Mary G.G. Sheppard (Consort of Mosby Sheppard) b: 19 May, 1786, d: 9 Aug., 1851
[Mosby Sheppard lived at "Meadow Farm" in Henrico County, now the property of Henrico County and the homeplace is a museum. The old home is still standing. Mr.Adams state that "Meadow Farm" is across the Chickahominy from Shady Acre Farm.]
3) Elizabeth M. [DuVal] wife of Benjamin J. DuVal, daughter of Mosby Sheippard b:25 March, 1815, d: 16 Jan.,1855.
Deceased children of Elizabeth and Benjamin DuVal
1) Benj. J. DuVal 5 yrs. 7 mos.
2) Mary L DuVal 20 days
3) Maria DuVal 7 days
4) Wilder Patch b:16 June, 1819 d:25 October 1882 (A friend of the Francis, that lived across the Chicahominy)
5) M.E.Davis (Mary Elizabeth Francis Davis) b:14 Sept., 1823 d:19 Oct. 1890
6) John D. Davis (Stone has John J. Davis) no dates
7) James G Jenkins b:15 Oct. 1833 d:9, 1906
8) Martha J. Jenkins (Martha [Washington] Francis) b:22 Aug. 1828, d:25 March,1899
9) Forest Aubrey Delaney (no dates)
10) Grace Pearl Delaney (no dates)
John J. Davis and Mary Elizabeth Francis Davis ... daughter: Mary Ann Lavenia Davis "Mollie" married Henry Vass
Luther Vass my grandfather
Earl Vass my father
Me: Earline Vass Wallace
Below John J. Davis and Mary Elizabeth Francis:
Taken from the book (THE CROSS FAMILY ALONG FALLING CREEK IN HANOVER COUNTY) by Katherine Cross 1972
Married in 1822, and according to a daguerreotype shows him as having dark hair and small features adorned by a small goatee. They must have made an attractive couple.
John was stricken with cancer and he wrote his will in 1843, leaving the farm to his wife and children and specifying that the children be equally educated, even if it meant selling some of the property. His obituary appeared in the (Virginia Baptist) Religious Hearald in 1846. He was buried at the home place.
They had nine children and four of the sons served in the 15th Virginia Regiment, Hanover Grays: James, Charles, John T. B, and Samuel Eli. Samuel died of wounds at Sharpsburg. James died in 1875. The house past from the Francis family when his daughter Mary J. Jenkins sold her portion, the house lot, to L. B. Tignor in 1895. At this time or thereabouts it was reduced to one story.
The [attached] picture is where the Francis lived. Great grandma Davis would have been Mary Elizabeth Francis Davis, my father's great grandmother.
Thanks so much.
John married Jane Mildred Terrell circa 1822. (Jane Mildred Terrell was born about 1810 in Virginia and died after 1850 in Hanover Co., VA.)