Mason Conner Fewell
- Born: 30 Jan 1797, Culpeper Co., VA.
- Marriage: Malinda Lindsay Wall
- Died: 8 Feb 1873, Henry Co., Missouri at age 76
- Buried: Snipe Cemetery, Henry Co., Missouri
In a 1906 letter to his nephew Jimmie P. Garrett, Poet (Powhatan) Garrett writes that "old Uncle Mason Fewell gagging [joking with] old Grandma Sims about the way old Grandpa Simms asked for her. The old man said to Grandma's father, Mr. Wall, 'I want Amy!'. 'Well, what do you want with her?' 'I want her for my wife!' 'Well', said the old man, 'Damn you, take her!' I well remember how old Grandma would blush when Uncle Mason would tell the joke before her."
From Allan Garrett in 2005: Mason Fewell came "to North Carolina with his parents in the spring of 1797 and located on the east side of Beaver Island Creek and the north side of Dan River, about 3 1/4 miles west of Madison, North Carolina. In 1839, after the death of his wife, he moved to Missouri and settled in Tebo Township just west of Windsor."
The 1840 Federal Census for Missouri, Reves Co. Monegan Township records Mason C. Fewll (40-50) with a woman (70-80) [Amy Wall Sims], a woman (30-40), 1 female (15-20), 1 female (10-15), and 1 male ( 10-15).
The 1850 Federal Census for Missouri, Henry Co., Tebo Township, page 8B records Amy Simms (86-Maryland) living with Mason C. Fewell (52-Va.). Mason has real estate valued at $4,000 and is the nephew of Amy Simms. Amy's brother-in-law, Richard Sims lives nearby in Big Creek Township in Henry Co., Missouri. Also living in the household with Amy and Mason are Elizabeth Fewell (40), Harriet E. Fewell (24-NC) and Richard B. Fewell (22-NC). Fewell is indexed as Ferrell at ancestry.com.
The 1860 Federal Census for Missouri, Henry Co., Tebo Township, District 22, page 930 records Mason Fewell (63-Va-Farmer) with Rufus B. Fewell (30-NC-Painter). Mason is quite wealthy with real estate valued at $15, 000 and personal property at $37, 675. Mason lives nearby Joseph and Rebecca Garrett and family. Mason is listed with 15 slaves on the Henry Co., Missouri Slave Schedule of 1860.
Referencing the daughter of Mason and Melinda Wall Fewell:
SIPE, Harriett E. FEWELL
Source: 1883 History of Henry Missouri , National Historical Co., pg: 653
--- Mrs. Harriet E. Sipe is the daughter of Mason C. Fewell. Mason was born January 8, 1797, in Culpeper County, Virginia, and married Melinda L. Wall in 1822. Miss Melinda L. Wall was originally of Rockingham County, North Carolina and born September 2, 1799. She died in that state September 17, 1829. In 1839 Mr. Fewell, with three of his children, his mother and sister, came to Henry County, Missouri in company with a colony of relatives and friends to the number of 144 souls.
For many years Mason was closely identified with the growth and prosperity of this county, and among its largest property holders and heaviest stock men. He owned, at his death, a fine estate Of 1,000 acres, of which "Meadow Farm," (the present residence of Mrs. Sipe) forms a part. Harriet E. Fewell was married, September 10, 1857, to Dr. Jacob Sipe, of this county, and they had one son and one daughter: Linnie A., born September 3, 1858, and Undrie T., born May 2, 1861, died July 6, following. Dr. Sipe was a well known physician and surgeon and had an extensive practice in Henry County. In later life he gave considerable attention to the disease of the eye and was making the treatment of that member a specialty. November 14, 1862, he was appointed surgeon in Company K, Seventh Regiment Missouri Infantry, of the Confederate service, receiving his discharge September 16, 1863, Soon after this he was made prisoner and taken to Rolla, being placed in the hospital November 21, 1865. He died the third day after and his burial place is marked by a suitable monument erected by his widow. Mrs. Sipe is now residing at "Meadow Farm," near Calhoun.
source: 1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co, pg: 434
--- Dr. Richard B. Fewel, actively engaged in the practice of medicine at Montrose, Missouri, was born in Johnson County, Missouri, May 9, 1857, a son of Richard Benjamin and Nancy Ann (Avery) Fewel. The father was born in Rockingham County, North Carolina, and the mother in Tennessee. Her father built the first house in Henry County that had glass windows, bringing the glass with him from Tennessee. The first County Court of Henry County was held at his home, and he was otherwise prominently connected with many pioneer incidents. Richard Benjamin Fewel was a stockman, dealing in fine horses, mules and cattle. He came to Missouri in the fall of 1839, settling in what is now Henry County, in company with his parents. Here he was reared and eventually became a land owner, engaging in business as a dealer in fine stock. He met with success in his undertaking and remained upon the home farm until his death, February 11, 1880. His wife passed away some years later in Johnson County. Doctor Fewel was the fourth in a family of nine children. He began his education in the public school near his old home and in 1870 was a student at Sylvan and through the succeeding two years attended school at Center Point Academy. He next entered Gem City Business College at Quincy, Illinois, from which he was graduated June 27, 1877. He determined to make the practice of medicine his life work and with that end in view began reading medicine in 1878 at Shawnee Mound, Missouri. He was in business at that time as a member of the firm of C. O. Fewel and Brother. He afterward attended the St. Louis College of Medicine and was graduated March 3, 1881. He later attended the Chicago School of Higher Arts and Sciences, completing his course in 1893, and he took post-graduate work in the Chicago Polyclinic in 1901, completing his course on June 21. Throughout his professional career he has continued a student in the science of medicine and has thus constantly benefited his knowledge and promoted his efficiency. In early life, however, before he was able to take up the study of medicine, Doctor Fewel taught school. He was then about nineteen or twenty years of age. He afterwards engaged in merchandising at Shawnee Mound for about three years, but sold out in 1880 in order that he might continue his studies. He began practicing at La Due, where he continued for a year, and in 1882 came to Montrose, where he has since followed his profession. He now devotes practically his entire time to his practice, which is large and growing. Besides, he is the owner of a fine farm of 160 acres in Henry County, to which he gives general supervision. In his practice he specializes to some extent in the diseases of women and children. September 22, 1881, Doctor Fewel was married to Miss Rosa Frances Vickars, who was born on the old home now owned by her. She is a daughter of Henry Clay and Elizabeth (Roberts) Vickars. Her father, a native of Kentucky, went to Virginia in early life and was there reared. The mother was born near Charleston, West Virginia, where she was married and removed from Virginia to St. Louis. Mr. Vickars engaged in farming near St. Louis for a number of years, but afterwards came to Henry County, where he carried on general agricultural pursuits until his death. In early life he was a merchant in Virginia. Both he and his wife are deceased. Doctor Fewel votes with the Democratic party and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and belongs also to the Modern Woodmen Camp and he and his wife are members of the Eastern Star. Professionally he has membership in the County Medical Society, the Medical Society of Southwest Missouri, the State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. Doctor Fewel had the first telephone line in Montrose running from his drug store to his residence, over a quarter of a mile, put up by George Paxton in 1884. He was appointed a member of the Henry County Council of National Defense and received his commission from Governor Gardner in June, 1917. He was elected vice-chairman of County Council at its second meeting. Also was appointed and served as deputy county food administrator for Henry County. Doctor Fewel has ever been an earnest and discriminating student of the science of medicine and is very conscientious and capable in the discharge of his duties. His ability has increased with the passing years and both his colleagues and the public pay high tribute to his professional service and to his fidelity to the highest standards of his profession.
Mason married Malinda Lindsay Wall, daughter of Richard Wall and Susan Vernon. (Malinda Lindsay Wall was born on 2 Sep 1799 in Rockingham Co, NC and died on 17 Sep 1829 in Rockingham Co., N.C..)