- Born: 6 Jul 1833, Ireland
- Marriage: Mary Ann Fairbourne circa 1854 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania
- Died: 28 Feb 1920, Union City, Wayne Township, Randolph Co., Indiana at age 86
See general notes on his father, Hugh, and sister, Mary Ann, for additional family facts ...
The 1850 Federal Census for Pittsburgh Ward 5, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania, page 351B records James Patchell (17 - Ireland) living with his parents Hugh (61 - Ireland) and Martha (60 - Ireland) Patchell and brother, Thomas (9 - Ireland).
The 1860 Federal Census for Pittsburgh Ward 7, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania records James Patchell (26 - Ireland) with his wife Mary Anne (27 - England) and children Wm M. (5 - PA) and George W. (2 - PA). James is a molder with real estate valued at $1,000 and personal property at $50.
The 1870 Federal Census for Jackson, Darke Co., Ohio records James Patchell (37 - Ireland) with his wife Mary (38 - England) and children George W. (12 - PA), Charles (4 - PA), and Ida (9/12 - Sept - Ohio). James is an Iron Molder.
The 1880 Federal Census for Union City, Randolph Co., Indiana, District 169 records James Patchell (44 - Ireland/Irelnad/Scotland) with his wife Mary A. (46 - England/England/England) and children Geo W. (22 - PA) and Charles B. (13 - PA) living at 381 Oak Street. James is a Car Inspector for the Railroad and George is listed as an Editor.
The 1900 Federal Census for Union City, Wayne Township, Randolph Co., Indiana, District 132 records the widower James Patchell (July 1833 - Ireland) living on West Oak Street. He has 2 boarders living in the house, Ralph (January 1892 - Indiana/Ohio/Indiana) and Frank (March 1894 - Indiana/Ohio/Indiana) Harless. [Could these be children of his daughter Ida? The 1910 census indicates not ... the boys, Ralph E. and Walter E. Harless are living with their recently remarried mom, Anna E. Wagner, and her husband Joseph E. Wagner)
The 1910 Federal Census for Union City, Wayne Township, Randolph Co., Indiana, District 145 records the widower James Patchell (76 - Ireland) boarding with Benjamin A. (75) and Susan J. (70) Gares at 539 Oak Street. James indicates he immigrated in 1843.
The 1920 Federal Census for Union City, Wayne Township, Randolph Co., Indiana, District 164 records the widower James J. Patchell (87 - PA/England/Scotland) living at 539 West Oak Street.
American Civil War Soldiers at ancestry.com records:
James Patchell first enlisted for service in Company D, 13th Infantry Regiment Pennsylvania on 25 April 1861. He was mustered out Company D, 13th Infantry Regiment Pennsylvania on 06 August 1861 in Pittsburgh, PA in oreder to serve in the 102nd PA.
James enlisted and was commissioned as a Lieutenant 1st Class into the 102nd Infantry Regiment Pennsylvaniaon 16 August 1861. He was promoted to Full Captain on 07 July 1862 and promoted to Brevet Colonel on 19 September 1864. He was wounded on 19 October 1864 at Cedar Creek, VA and transfered on 16 November 1864 from company D to company S. There he was promoted to Full Major on 16 November 1864 and promoted to Full Lieutenant Colonel on 01 December 1864. He was again wounded on 02 April 1865 at Petersburg, VA and promoted to Full Colonel on 15 May 1865. James mustered out of Company D, 102nd Infantry Regiment Pennsylvania on 28 June 1865 in Washington, DC.
Notes on the 13th Infantry Regiment PA from ancestry.com
Date Mustered: 6 Aug 1861
Regimental History - Source: The Union Army, vol. 1
(3 months before being absorbed into the 102nd PA)
THE call of the Governor for troops was nowhere received with a more hearty, or immediate response, than in the city of Pittsburg. The Washington Infantry, a militia company, under the command of Captain Thomas A. Rowley, was rapidly recruited to more than two hundred members, all desirous of serving in a body. To satisfy this desire, on its arrival at Camp Curtin, it was organized in three companies, from which, with two other companies already in camp, a Battalion was formed, to be commanded by Captain Rowley as Major. Other companies from Pittsburg and vicinity arriving soon after sharing in the same local pride, were incorporated with the Battalion, and a regimental organization effected, by the choice of the following officers: Thomas A. Rowley, of Pittsburg, Colonel; John N. Purviance, of Butler, Lieutenant Colonel; W. S. Mellinger, of Monongahela City, Major; Joseph M. Kinkead, of Pittsburg, was appointed Adjutant.
The regiment was mustered into the service of the United States on the 25th of April, by Captain Seneca G. Simmons, and on the following morning moved to Camp Scott, near the town of York. Only three of the officers, the Colonel, Adjutant, and one Captain-members of the First Pennsylvania regiment in the army of Occupation in Mexico-had had any previous military experience. But the alacrity with which every order was obeyed, and the ardent desire manifessed by both officers and men to acquire a complete knowledge of their duties, rendered the instruction both easy and pleasant. The result of the six weeks training at Camp Scott, though the weather during a considerable portion of the time was stormy, was most satisfactory. On the 4th of June, the regiment moved to Chambersburg, and on the 11th to Camp Brady, south of the town, reporting to Colonel Dixon S. Miles, commanding On the 4th Brigade, 1st Division of Patterson's corps. On the 14th, the column began to move, the Thirteenth reaching Greencastle the same night. This was the first actual march under arms and full equipments. On the following day it was continued to Camp Reily, near Williamsport.
On Sunday the 16th of June, the Thirteenth was assigned to the advance of the column, and passing through Williamsport about noon-just as the worshiping congregations were dismissed-forded the Potomac, and were the first volunteers from the North to reach Virginia on this line. Advancing a few miles, the division encamped in a position well selected for defence, which was designated Camp Hitchcock. Remaining until the 18th, the command was ordered back to the Maryland shore, all the regulars belonging to the corps, with the cavalry and artillery, having been ordered to Washington. On the return march, the Thirteenth was again assigned the post of honor, that of rear guard to the column. Returning to the neighborhood of Williamsport, it encamped in a position to command the principal ford. Details were furnished, chiefly from this regiment, for fatigue duty in constructing a permanent field work-, or redan, for the use of Captain Doubleday's battery. When completed, three siege guns of heavy calibre were placed in position, and their range tested by a shot from each, which, ricochetting on the hard turnpike on the opposite side of the river, caused sundry rebel horsemen, who were intently watching the operations, to beat a hasty retreat.
When Patterson's army again advanced on the 2d of July, the Thirteenth and the Eighth Pennsylvania regiments were detailed to garrison Williamsport, and to protect communications with the base of supply. Cut off, thus, from the position at the front which they coveted, the men were determined to show their prowess, if not in arms, with the pen. Procuring the use of the "Williamsport Ledger" office, they commenced the publication of the "Pennsylvania Thirteenth," devoted to the patriotic sentiment of the camp, and to the more elevated tone of wit and humor prevalent in the ranks. The first number was issued on the 4th of July, 1861, and was continued, at intervals, until after the battle of Antietam, in September, 1862, a portable printing press and materials having been purchased, and moved with the regiment. The establishment was finally lost amidst the confusion on that hotly contested field. The Early on the morning of July 4th, the regiment was ordered to escort the Rhode Island battery, belonging to Colonel Burnside's command, to Martinsburg. The pieces were moved with difficulty across the ford, but were safely reported to the commander early in the evening. Engaged in picket and fatigue duty, until the 16th, it moved to Bunker Hill, and occupied the camps just vacated by the rebels, taking possession of their forage and their camp fires, still alive.
On the 17th, a forced march was made to Charlestown. Nearly the whole distance, over dusty roads, was performed at a "double quick." At a cross roads, called Smithfield, a halt was made, by order of General Patterson, a line of battle formed, the artillery placed in battery, and every thing put in readiness for action. This manoeuvre was executed with the design of protecting the column against a sudden dash of the enemy's cavalry, which hung upon the flank and rear of the army in considerable force. The regiment remained in camp at Charlestown until the 21st, when it was ordered to Harper's Ferry. Starting without guides, and mistaking the way, it made a wide detour of some half dozen miles, and arriving at the Potomac late at night, was obliged to ford the river in the darkness, leaving some of the wagons in the middle of the stream until morning. On the evening of the 22d, it again struck tents, and marched to Hagerstown, whence, on the 25th, it moved by the Cumberland Valley railroad to Harrisburg.
Here, for the first time since their organization, the men began to exhibit impatience. Their campaign had been a bloodless one. Demagogues endeavored to convince them that
they were no longer under obligations-their term of enlistment having expired-to obey the orders of their officers. This state of affairs might have resulted disastrously, had not the previous good discipline created a feeling of confidence in their officers, and made their expressed wish, equivalent to an order. As soon as transportation could be furnished, the regiment moved to Pittsburg, where am ovation awaited it. On the 6th of August it was paid and mustered out of service. Previous to this it had been determined to organize a new regiment for three years of the war, and within two weeks from the disbandment, Colonel Rowley with five companies departed for Washington, and before the end of the month had ten full companies in camp. Recruits still continued to arrive, until the organization embraced twelve hundred men. Reporting directly to the War office, the regiment was not recognized by the State authorities, nor its officers commissioned ,until a large number of three years' regiments had been placed in the service. Hence it, was numbered the One Hundred and Second, although it was among the first recruited.
From: Portrait & Biographical Record, Randolph County, IN by A. W. Bowen & Co.; 1894
COL. JAMES PATCHELL, of Union City, Indiana, retired, is a son of Hugh and Martha A. (Moore) Patchell, and was born near Londonderry, Ireland, July 6, 1833. The Patchell family originated in Normandy, France, and the name in that country was spelled Patchelle, having since been anglicized. Hugh Patchell, the father of Col. James Patchell, descended from this family, who suffered terrible persecution for embracing the Protestant faith, as many as twenty-eight having been beheaded as heretics, and the remnant, after the manner of St. Bartholomew's day, seeking refuge in the north of Ireland, and locating near Londonderry, in company with many other Huguenots. From that country the parents of James Patchell immigrated to America, when the latter was too young to remember events. They stopped first at Columbia, Pennsylvania, for a time, and in 1847 removed to Pittsburgh, where the father was foreman in an iron foundry for many years. Here James was employed first as an errand boy, but in course of time was apprenticed for seven years to learn molding and all other branches of foundry work. On account of his proficiency, however, he was rated as a journeyman at the end of four years, and after working as such for six months for the firm, was hired by Joseph Tomlinson to make car wheels, and later by Frank Russell, in whose employ he was when the Civil War broke out.
Fort Sumter was fired on April 12, 1861, and on the 13th, James Patchell, fired with patriotic ardor for his adopted country, led fifteen other molders out of the back window of the shop, leaving dinner buckets behind, and, sending word to their wives, hastened to Harrisburg, in their working clothes, and, with the smut and grime of their occupation still thick upon them, enlisted, April 17, 1861, in the Thirteenth Pennsylvania Infantry for three months, took part in the battle of Falling Waters, and came out at the close of his term as Orderly Sergeant. August 19, 1861, he joined the One Hundred and Second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry as First Lieutenant of Company D. The regiment was assigned to the army of the Potomac, Fourth Army Corps, under Gen. George B. McClellan, and the deeds of that hero and his corps is a matter of history. Suffice it to say that Lieutenant Patchell was through the peninsula campaign - was at Williamsburg, Chickahominy, Fair Oaks, Seven Pines, the seven days fight around Richmond and after this was promoted to a captaincy, having, in fact led his company through all these battles. From the peninsula he went to join the army before Washington with Couch's division; took part in the second Battle of Bull Run, covering the retreat of Chantilly, and was next at South Mountain and Antietam; and in from of Fredericksburg, at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Salem Heights, Rappahannock Station, Franklin Crossing, in the Wilderness, at Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Fort Stevens and at Winchester Virginia, where he was wounded in the face, but never left the field; was a Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek (where he was wounded in the leg, October 19, 1864 and carries an ounce ball therein to this day); was at the taking of Petersburg, April 1, 2 and 3, 1865, and was wounded in both hands and left side on the 1st, but never left the field; was at Sailor's Creek, and at Appomattox Court House, April 9, 1865, at the surrender of Lee, and was mustered out at Washington, D.C., June 28, 1865. The Captain commanded his regiment from the battle of the Wilderness, on account of his Major and Colonel having been wounded. He served in the One Hundred and Second through all the ranks, from Lieutenant to Colonel, having been brevetted as Colonel for bravery at the battle of Winchester, Virginia, by President Lincoln. It may be mentioned here that the enlistment in the One Hundred and Second, from August 1861 to the close, as 2,100, and that the loss was thirty-nine officers and 905 enlisted men, making a total of 944.
On his return to Pittsburgh the Colonel went to molding on the same floor that he had left, and their worked until 1867, when he came to Union City, Indiana, and started a foundry and machine shop, on the Ohio side, in company with four others, and carried it on for three years; he was next employed as car-inspector for the "Bee Line" Railroad Company for eleven years; then started a small foundry of his own on the Indiana side, and now advancing years admonish him to retire from an active business.
The Colonel was married in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Miss Mary A. Fairbourn, the offspring being George W., now editor of the Union City Times, and Charles L. S., a printer on the Chicago Inter Ocean. Mrs. Patchell lived in connubial bliss with the Colonel until August 1883, when she was called to her final rest. The Colonel was reared a Presbyterian, but on his marriage joined the Methodist Protestant Church, in which his wife held her faith. On coming to Union City they joined the Methodist Episcopal congregation, there being no Methodist Protestant in the city. The Colonel is a Mason, a Knight of the Golden Eagle, a member of the I.O.R.M., and was the first Commander of Sedgwick Post, Grand Army of the Republic, named after his corps commander.
The above bio was provided by a Patchell decendent <firstname.lastname@example.org> in May 2007:
Harry Gardiner, Professor Emeritus
Psychology Department - University of Wisconsin
La Crosse, WI 54601
Past President - Society for Cross-Cultural Research
James married Mary Ann Fairbourne circa 1854 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. (Mary Ann Fairbourne was born circa 1832 in England and died in Aug 1883 in Union City, Randolph Co., Indiana.)