Dr. Richard Benjamin Fewell
- Born: 9 May 1857, Johnson Co., Missouri
- Marriage: Rose Francis Vickars on 22 Sep 1881
source: 1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co, pg: 434
--- Dr. Richard B. Fewel, actively engaged in the practice of medicine at Montrose, Missouri, was born in Johnson County, Missouri, May 9, 1857, a son of Richard Benjamin and Nancy Ann (Avery) Fewel. The father was born in Rockingham County, North Carolina, and the mother in Tennessee. Her father built the first house in Henry County that had glass windows, bringing the glass with him from Tennessee. The first County Court of Henry County was held at his home, and he was otherwise prominently connected with many pioneer incidents. Richard Benjamin Fewel was a stockman, dealing in fine horses, mules and cattle. He came to Missouri in the fall of 1839, settling in what is now Henry County, in company with his parents. Here he was reared and eventually became a land owner, engaging in business as a dealer in fine stock. He met with success in his undertaking and remained upon the home farm until his death, February 11, 1880. His wife passed away some years later in Johnson County. Doctor Fewel was the fourth in a family of nine children. He began his education in the public school near his old home and in 1870 was a student at Sylvan and through the succeeding two years attended school at Center Point Academy. He next entered Gem City Business College at Quincy, Illinois, from which he was graduated June 27, 1877. He determined to make the practice of medicine his life work and with that end in view began reading medicine in 1878 at Shawnee Mound, Missouri. He was in business at that time as a member of the firm of C. O. Fewel and Brother. He afterward attended the St. Louis College of Medicine and was graduated March 3, 1881. He later attended the Chicago School of Higher Arts and Sciences, completing his course in 1893, and he took post-graduate work in the Chicago Polyclinic in 1901, completing his course on June 21. Throughout his professional career he has continued a student in the science of medicine and has thus constantly benefited his knowledge and promoted his efficiency. In early life, however, before he was able to take up the study of medicine, Doctor Fewel taught school. He was then about nineteen or twenty years of age. He afterwards engaged in merchandising at Shawnee Mound for about three years, but sold out in 1880 in order that he might continue his studies. He began practicing at La Due, where he continued for a year, and in 1882 came to Montrose, where he has since followed his profession. He now devotes practically his entire time to his practice, which is large and growing. Besides, he is the owner of a fine farm of 160 acres in Henry County, to which he gives general supervision. In his practice he specializes to some extent in the diseases of women and children. September 22, 1881, Doctor Fewel was married to Miss Rosa Frances Vickars, who was born on the old home now owned by her. She is a daughter of Henry Clay and Elizabeth (Roberts) Vickars. Her father, a native of Kentucky, went to Virginia in early life and was there reared. The mother was born near Charleston, West Virginia, where she was married and removed from Virginia to St. Louis. Mr. Vickars engaged in farming near St. Louis for a number of years, but afterwards came to Henry County, where he carried on general agricultural pursuits until his death. In early life he was a merchant in Virginia. Both he and his wife are deceased. Doctor Fewel votes with the Democratic party and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and belongs also to the Modern Woodmen Camp and he and his wife are members of the Eastern Star. Professionally he has membership in the County Medical Society, the Medical Society of Southwest Missouri, the State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. Doctor Fewel had the first telephone line in Montrose running from his drug store to his residence, over a quarter of a mile, put up by George Paxton in 1884. He was appointed a member of the Henry County Council of National Defense and received his commission from Governor Gardner in June, 1917. He was elected vice-chairman of County Council at its second meeting. Also was appointed and served as deputy county food administrator for Henry County. Doctor Fewel has ever been an earnest and discriminating student of the science of medicine and is very conscientious and capable in the discharge of his duties. His ability has increased with the passing years and both his colleagues and the public pay high tribute to his professional service and to his fidelity to the highest standards of his profession.
Richard married Rose Francis Vickars on 22 Sep 1881.